As the end of the steam era came to the Alaska Railroad, memories of war
time shortages lingered. As a result strategic reserves were part of planning
for most organizations. The Alaska Railroad stashed serviceable steam locomotives
at several locations. ARR #557 was tucked into the Whittier engine house as
of Aug. 31 1957. ARR #561 was under blankets at the edge of the Seward Yard
on June 1, 1957. ARR #554 was still parked near the Anchorage Roundhouse as
of February 3, 1957. William A. "Art" Gibson was there and captured
them for us on colored 35mm transparency film.
Photo courtesy of W. A. Gibson Jr.
Commentary by Pat Durand